Thursday, May 24, 2007

Will I be lumpy forever?

Well, I haven't blogged in a while because I'm kind of frustrated with the injections now. The injections aren't as painful as before, but now I have lumps at most of the injection sites. You can actually feel the lumps, they feel like knots with a circumference the same as a ping pong ball. I have these lumps in both thighs, arms, hips, and stomach. The drug company has a support team you can call if you have any questions, concerns, etc. I spoke to them and they said it takes the body 6 to 12 months to get used to the medication and recognize it. They say the best thing to do is apply heat to the area and then massage (no sooner than 24 hours after injecting). I've tried it, but it didn't help much. It's pretty painful to massage the lumps. I just feel bruised and sore in all of the injected areas. I've had some of the lumps for a week! I've also noticed when I inject the arms and legs I have a giant red circle around the area for about 48-72 hours (it usually lasts longer on the legs) and the circle is very warm.

I hope I don't sound too whiny or negative, I'm just expressing my frustrations. It's only been 6 weeks today since I started the injections, so I still need to give it a chance. Other than the lumps, I've been feeling pretty good if I'm in the air conditioning. If I'm in the heat for very long I'm drained and useless. I'm dreading our electricity bills this summer!

Hopefully next time I blog, I'll have good news that the lumps are gone!! In the mean time, I'm just trying to stay cool:)

Today my quote is dedicated to myself:
"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You are amazing... every time I read this, that's all that I can think.

Thank you sooo much for my Mother's Day gift. I love the CD. Your mom and Avery came down and she handed it to me and said "here - it's from Cole!!!" It was very cute.

Anyway, thanks for thinking of me. Hang in there girl. We will miss you this weekend but hope to get together soon. Come hand out in the pool to keep you "cool". :)

Love ya!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,

I came across your blog because of the tail bone post. Yes, I know the daily injections are very frustrating and painful. But at least we have something that helps. I have a suggestion for you.

If you use the auto inject try to learn to self inject. The thought of injecting manually freaked me out but I did learn. Now I really take my time and warm the site, angle it at 45 degrees and very slowly, take as long as you need to let the med go very slowly into the fatty tissue. I actually spread it a little as I'm injecting by gently pressing the area. I gently press a tissue on it after for another minute. It works for me.

You still get some lumpiness but not nearly as bad. You look thin as am I and I notice when I inject at a fattier spot it's hardly noticeable. I don't inject on my arms any more because of the destruction of tissue. I decided that myself before it looked too bad. This really does help alot. Trial and error.

I still have older lumps from last year but I kind of try and fill in the dented areas like a dermatologist using a filler. Good luck to you.

Joann (jpro524@verizon.net)
P.S. I also like the even numbers